Monday, May 15, 2023

Acrylic April

After my ten (nine) beginner paintings I am now doing "Acrylic April" with the Art Sherpa - a painting a day for all of April. Obviously I am well behind, and falling further behind with each passing day, but that is what Youtube is for. Painting at one's own pace. Apparently this has been going for a few years now so if I want to I can go back and do previous Acrylic Aprils. This year's theme is 'abstracts' which is good for a beginner like me, because there is a bit of wriggle room for 'personal interpretation'. I am bad but not so bad it makes me cross, unlike realistic painting where it is meant to look like something. And it doesn't.

So we are doing all sorts of abstracts - some are completely non-representational where others are things or scenes, but not realistically, just the abstraction of the idea of the thing. Or something. Here are some abstract landscapes. The sky in the one above is a bit lairy but I like my island with the flaming trees sprouting from it.

They are varying in peculiarity, god only knows what this is meant to be. I am getting the hang of the paint, slowly, and have also bought a palette knife so I can smack the paint on in great gobs. It is fun, but almost impossible to control. I watched a video of someone doing a complete painting with a palette knife and it is amazing, but I cannot grasp how they did it. 


This is a bit less abstract than some of the others and I quite like bits of it. There is always something that isn't hideous in each painting, and for this I am not appalled by the middle clouds. I am appalled by the purple cliff, the lilac trees and the red algae pond at the front...

No comments:

Post a Comment