Friday, May 26, 2023

Abstract April - non-representational aka wtf is this

Some of the abstracts are abstracted objects or scenes, and some of them are absolutely not meant to be anything at all. But they still take ages to do, and lots of thinking. As you smack the paint in almost entirely the wrong spot. First up is my favourite - lots of palette knife - I really like this one. I don't know why. I have varnished it which is the first time ever! That means I can't paint over it again, which is what will happen with the other canvases I think. I am going to put a velcro command hook on the back and hang it on the wall.


I don't hate this one - it is meant to be minimalist abstract with a slight hint of mid-century modern. Which I think it has. 


This is meant to be an abstract idea of fire, but it's a bit half-arsed. Again, lots of palette knife which is fun, but I'm not sure it's giving fire. Perhaps controlled explosion?


This was meant to be completely non-representational but ended up being "floating alien pirate sky ships" which is OK. That's the nice thing about abstracts. I like the impasto splodges. Again, it took hours to do this, I don't think you can tell.


And lastly we have an allover kind of abstract, with Posca pen, which I kind of like but it's a bit wimpy. The completely abstract ones are fun to do but a bit unsatisfying.



No comments:

Post a Comment