Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Another shirt, spots this time

I wore this shirt to a friend's birthday afternoon tea on the weekend - with my not-skinny jeans that are fast becoming a favourite. Comfortable! That is the priority now. Anyway this is yet another inexpensive rayon. I love rayon, it is cool to wear and drapes nicely. Harder to sew than cotton but not exactly silk charmeuse degree of difficulty. 


This is the Deer and Doe Melilot shirt that I've made a few times before, although I made it a bit wider through the body for room, and made the collar pointy rather than the original round collar. And a short sleeve instead of long, and I didn't put the pockets on. But still totally the same shirt :)


A bust dart, which is nice, and a long curved tail, which is also nice. I might make more of these. I liked the spot very much. I did pre-soak in very hot water and pre-wash completely and the colour ran like crazy and shrank. Sometimes you can just tell.


It reminds me of 1981 when I played a cow in the school end of year production - it was some kind of Christmas show, and the inn in Bethlehem was run by a cow landlady, i.e. me - in fact all the roles were played by animals except the angels, and we all had to sing through large papier mache mask heads. Wearing a brown turtleneck skivvy and brown trackpants. My solo included the lines "No room at the inn for any more horses cows and pigs and sheep and goats - moo neigh oink baa, moo neigh oink baa".


Anyway, the reason it reminds me is because the cow landlady also had to have a red polka dotted apron, which I only told my mother about at the last possible moment, who found some fabric in a drawer, but didn't have enough for a full apron so sewed up a half-apron (hemmed and trimmed, because it wasn't leaving the house unfinished) which I then got in trouble for from the crazed music teacher because it wasn't the exact right big landlady apron ... and even at the age of ten I knew NOT TO MENTION THAT to my mother, who would have taken those apron strings and strangled someone with them. Which I totally understand now. I went on in my half apron and all survived.

4 comments:

  1. I too understand... Great shirt. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no memory of that but a great call not to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember a certain ballet teacher a year or two earlier insisting on a full pink tutu that had to be just so and your mother almost rushing off to do the strangulation thing then when the expensive and unnecessary item in question wouldn't go together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me feel very very old. In 1981 I had my second child. I was 31. Oh wait, maybe I just AM old... Pam

    ReplyDelete