Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Successful sewing this time

Another weekend at the beach, another clothing attempt ... but more successful this time, with two garments that I might actually wear. And I had fun, listening to random Spotify playlists (1971 Rock Hits! Alternative Folk for Thursdays! Music to Wipe down Skirting Boards To!) Note - I did not wipe down any skirting boards. I read a couple of books, went for a couple of walks, had one swim. The weather was beautiful, but no clouds and not a breath of wind = no waves at all, so I had to float about. It gets chilly quickly. 


I know that some people out there have a straight line from "need black dress, buy black fabric, buy pattern appropriate for black fabric, sew black dress, wear black dress". Not me. I think that my garment making is actually four separate hobbies that have no relationship to each other. I buy fabric that I think is pretty / interesting / a bargain. I buy patterns that I think are different / on sale. I wear clothes from my cupboard that are appropriate for the day I plan to have. I sew the combination of pattern and fabric that I already own that I think will be fun / challenging / suits my current mood. So fabric-buying Lynley doesn't talk at all to clothes-wearing Lynley. Sewing-Lynley shakes her head at the decisions of pattern-buying Lynley and rejects anything with welt pockets. Clothes-wearing Lynley picks up the latest efforts of sewing-Lynley and says 'thank you' politely and puts them at the back of the cupboard.


Having reached these conclusions, I can also say that it isn't a problem. If the clothes work out and I don't wear them they can be donated. There is some wastage but less than my appalling fast fashion habit. I do a lot of shopping on-line on my lunch break and I find it a soothing time out to think about pretty material. I have pots of money, it is hardly going to break the bank. I don't mind spending the weekend on something I end up not wearing. Time sewing is time enjoyably spent. So that is how I ended up wearing a woollen cape to work today. It is awesome! Photos at some point....

1 comment: