Sunday, September 2, 2018

A silver lining

It's been another long week this week - my husband was in Jakarta for the week so I had to wrestle the children and pets on my own. It's not particularly difficult, just time-consuming, especially since our geriatric cat is now demanding eight meals a day. She forgets when she's been fed, and because she's so deaf now she can't hear how loud she is when she meows for more food. It is very loud and very grumpy. But we all coped, and I can hardly complain about having to do solo parenting when I've just been off gallivanting around the world.

Last month I enrolled myself in another weaving course at the ANU which I was very excited about and looking forward to ... and then it was cancelled. Sad face. Not enough people enrolled apparently! Come on Canberrans, what are you doing that is so much more interesting than weaving. I cannot think of anything that could be better. But, silver lining,  $710 that I thought I had spent was refunded to me.... so I bought another loom. A rigid heddle, like the little funny one I had before, but an actual proper Ashford 60 cm one that came new, in a box.


It took an hour or two to assemble (mostly fine, although a couple of the screw holes weren't drilled deep enough, which drives me a bit crazy). They say to lacquer it to protect it before assembling but honestly I had been waiting a week already for delivery (it came from NZ) and I wasn't going to be doing any lacquering before weaving. I may regret this decision later, I will let you know. And yes I have warped it, and yes I have woven on it, and it is so cool! It is a bit mad to get something that is less complicated - technically I can do anything I can do on the rigid heddle on the four shaft loom but it has a much bigger weaving space, and it so much simpler to warp. Sometimes simpler is better.

4 comments: