Saturday, September 8, 2018

Scarf!!!



I warped, I wove, I wet-finished and here is my first scarf from the new loom. It is cotton and wool because that is what I had in the cupboard and I couldn't wait for anything special to arrive. I was in Melbourne Wednesday and Thursday for work but other than that most of my spare time has been weaving time! Addicted, again.



It is a scarf, with light pink and grey stripes of pure cotton knitting yarn on the warp, and three different colours of a lightly variegated cotton/wool blend on the weft. In sort of stripes.



I got three reeds with my loom; 7.5, 10 and 15 dpi. That's dents per inch, which is how many threads per inch you get, so the higher number means the holes are closer together and generally you use thinner yarn. This was 10 dpi which I think is about right for this.



It is much smaller than I thought because I underestimated the loom wastage - about thirty inches on the warp and it shrunk a full two inches across the width after weaving. But I made little twirly fringes on the ends with my awesome fringe maker. It was very easy and lots of fun, but the edges aren't great and there are a few mistakes. But I know what to watch out for now, for the next one...

1 comment:

  1. It looks lovely. But I'm not going there myself... one addiction (and there's also gardening, so two, and reading... hmm) is quite enough.

    ReplyDelete