Thursday, September 13, 2018

If only I had a guest bathroom

This is the next experiment on the new loom. I used the leftover crochet cotton I had (from Spotlight, varying quality, mostly crap) to make a length of something that was originally intended to be two tea towels.


It is not two tea towels for two reasons; firstly because it is not nearly long enough (I underestimated loom wastage again), and secondly because nobody is going to be wiping up dishes or spills with something it took me four days to weave.  The internet says this kind of weaving is good for "matching sets of hand towels in the guest bathroom" which really does presuppose a certain kind of life. Not just a guest bathroom but a certain class of guest, and perhaps also a commitment to careful laundry. I do not have any of those things, and might wait until I am a grown up before weaving some guest hand towels to match the decor.  I did hang it over a towel rail for photographic purposes, but I wouldn't let anyone actually dry their hands on it.



But even if it is completely useless it was quite fun to weave. I used the 15 dpi heddle, and it took a bit more careful weaving to make sure all the warp threads were in the right place. There are heaps of mistakes and skipped threads in it ... a learning piece. I'll have another go with cottons at some point.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, you're beginning to tempt me to try weaving. But no. I'm about thirty light years behind you on the quilting front. One thing at a time for me (apart from the many other, non-crafting, things I'm trying to do at the same time). It's lovely, though.

    ReplyDelete