But compared to machine quilting it was an absolute doddle, and I'm really pleased with the result. It's wonderfully scrappy and bright. You can see which are the connecting strips. When I connected the smaller pieces I tried to make the connecting strips of varying widths and use the same spacing as I had for the quilting, to make them blend in more. But by the time I got to the long joins, practicality dictated a very narrow strip with no additional batting. So they're quite noticeable.
I always have a problem trying to photograph my quilts - especially the big ones. One day I'll look into decent lighting and a hanging system ... it's on the list. But whacking it over the clothesline gives a good enough idea of how it turned out.
Nine-year old boy included for scale.