Saturday, February 6, 2010

Drunkard's path

I got a drunkard's path template for Christmas - nominally from my husband, although I did pick it out, and pay for it.... mmmm let's just say I gave it to myself. I'm not usually much of a template user because it seems too much like hard work. But this was a nice big 8" block that you can use easily with a rotary cutter so I thought I'd give it a go ... and this is my first quilt with it.

It was a bit of an experiment so it's not very big, about 50" square. A good size for the kids to snuggle with in the car or in front of the sofa, so I know it will get used. This picture is with the flash on, the colours are brighter in life.



I'm not too good at making sure the curves are perfectly smooth - I found I had to trim all the blocks to size because there was always a half inch or so left over. Sometimes the pie, and sometimes the edge piece, so I'm not even doing the same thing wrong every time! Oh well. Perhaps my absolute refusal to pin when quilting has something to do with it? This picture is without the flash to show the quilting a bit more.



Despite the imperfections I am quite pleased with the end result. Curves are rather fun, and there are lots of design possibilities for me to go on with, and I can only get better at the piecing - maybe? It's backed in a particularly dodgy check voile (with lurex thread through that I didn't notice until I got it home) from the bargain bin at Spotlight and machine quilted in a variety of patterns. Here's a close up of the very simple "sponge finger" pattern which I think turned out well, and I'll use it again. It looks a bit like a feather headdress? Or sunrays?

No comments:

Post a Comment