Thursday, October 14, 2021

Wet into wet

We are working on our wet-into-wet technique at the moment, and also making good dark darks. I struggle with dark darks because of my Natural Frugality. Paint is expensive! But you need dark in order for the light to glow. That was profound. Life lessons through the medium of watercolour paint. 

Lots of flaws in these, but I quite liked doing them because it is linear. I struggle more with the landscapes and anything where you do a squiggle that 'hints' at a tree. Or a lake. Or an alien abduction because my squiggles don't usually look like anything at all. The lessons continue to be great - really detailed step by step exercises and using it in a painting. Very well thought-through for beginners and for the generally hopeless.

We did a variety of feathers to show the wet on wet effect. Not feathers that you would see on any bird, but entertaining to do.

Speaking of wet on wet, it has been raining most of the week. The garden is looking lovely, and it should be a mild summer which is wonderful news. Probably catastrophic flooding but around here you either get that or catastrophic bushfires, nothing in between, and I think I'd rather take the floods. I live on a hill, it will be fine. 

We are loosening up the lockdown tomorrow which will be good, although not much will change. The shops will stay shut despite being on track to being the most vaccinated city in the world. At the moment 98.8 % of Canberrans over the age of 11 have had a first dose, which means we are pretty close to putting lists of the unvaccinated on the front page of the Canberra Times and silently gathering outside their houses. No, just joking. Kind of. 

2 comments:

  1. I can see the temptation. We're about to have our third doses. Surely we must be fairly immune after that???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family in Canberra are telling me how fed up they are with lockdown - I sympathise completely. Here in SA we are being warned daily what will happen when we open the borders. I know we must open them - we live so close to the Victorian border and can't see family, despite them being just over an hour's drive away as they are in another state. Life must go on. I'm thankful that most of my family, immediate and not so much, are vaccinated. I do worry for those who aren't, but I can't do much about that. I suspect SA will go into lockdown as soon as we get an unknown case, and we will stay in lock down until our vaccination figures are high enough. Our hospitals are struggling with everyday use, I can't imagine how much worse it would be with Covid admissions.

    Still - onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete