Tuesday, October 5, 2021

The great outdoors


Lockdown seems to have me constantly roaming. There are always things to click and collect somewhere, or work, or groceries, or if all else fails actual exercise. My normal 14 km walk used to exhaust me, now it barely touches the sides. I am not getting fitter, just trying to keep down the crazy. Soooo craaaaazy. Here are photos of Canberra not being at all crowded. It was a public holiday yesterday, so a long weekend, not that anyone went anywhere. 


I walked past my work on Saturday (I like to avoid actual roads, and the pathways round Parliament House are lovely). It was a blustery day and the flag was at full stretch. 


On the weekend the ACT national parks re-opened so my husband and I and about two hundred thousand other people headed there to see something different for a change (yes, the government has no problem with us driving an hour and a half to walk amongst the trees, but we can't drive twenty minutes to Spotlight because it's in NSW, federal systems are stupid). 


We went to Honeysuckle Creek which is actually really cool because it's the site of the tracking station that relayed the footage of the first moon walk for all the world to see! Decommissioned and moved in the 1980s, so only concrete there now, but still kind of neat. 


The 2020 bushfires absolutely tore through here. Some parts are regenerating nicely, but others aren't and it's quite shocking. Even the re-growing parts won't have the same habitat for decades, if ever. 


Our asshole neighbours are ignoring all the construction bylaws and doing building work on Sundays and public holidays now, so we very much enjoyed the peace and quiet of the trees. We weren't prepared for a long walk so didn't go very far, but maybe next weekend. And when we got back friends invited us over for a drink or three (you are allowed to have two people over to your house now, it's very exciting) and that was the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I don't really know kms but 14 is quite a lot of miles. 8.6992, according to Google. You must be fit if this now seems like nothing. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete