Friday, October 8, 2021

Domestika courses

I'm trying not to rush through my watercolour classes - it's very tempting just to race onto the next one but it will probably be better if I do some practice between classes. There is homework to do, and I do it, but honestly with whatever crazed hyper-focus is going on in my lockdown lunacy at the moment I need more. More painting. At all times. So my solution is to do some Domestika watercolour courses - which are cheap, entertaining and give you a bit of practice at stuff.

So I did 'Vibrant Floral Patterns with Watercolors' by Anna Lau - which is exactly what it says on the tin! The courses are nicely produced, and it's interesting to see how artists work. I'm not sure if it's exactly how you learn anything - it's a bit once over lightly and it's very much "this is how I do it and you'll get the result that I get" - but I potter along, do the exercises and projects, and work up my brush control. 

Anna Lau uses her patterns for mugs, and prints, and washi tape and all sorts of things. They are very cute, although half her course is about using Photoshop to tidy it up and brighten the colours, which is interesting but not the kind of thing I'm going to do. These are my direct copies of her work :) The one below is not upside down it's meant to be 'hanging'. Hmmm.

Hours of fun for $15. Excellent.  

1 comment: