Saturday, September 11, 2021

On with the watercolours

I'm happily going through the Level 1 Absolute Beginners course and still enjoying it - I might move onto Level 2 Beginners! I did a landscape yesterday that looked like a four year old had done it, but that's OK. Other students put their pictures in the comments of the tutorials for teacher feedback and some of them are amazing! It's a bit dispiriting. But some of them are also doing mutant toddler scapes, which is reassuring.

I did a levitating pear to learn about tones. Apparently you are meant to bring the shadow all the way around so it looks like it's on the table, not hovering above it.

Here is a sheet of roses not found in nature. They are pretty but absolutely not at all like the ones we were supposed to do, which I could not master for the life of me. 

And a luridly pink coffee mug. Working With Monochrome says the teacher, it's about tones, don't fixate on the quality of the drawing ... just as well. 

3 comments:

  1. Dear Lynley, just so you know someone other than your Dad is out here! I love that you publish your good and what you think is bad. We all get a distorted view when people only show us the good or perfect finish. And it doesn't matter as long as you're having fun and enjoying yourself. So brave of you to tackle buttonholes. Will have to do some googling myself as it's one thing that scares me. Hence I tend to make slip over shirts. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Sandra. And also you're a hoot. (And I'm not your dad.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Pam. I am only the second fan. Lyl, do you remember me drawing eggs all the time? My favourite doodle in boring meetings, but great for the shading and getting things round practice.

    ReplyDelete