Monday, September 6, 2021

It rained and it rained

On Friday the lockdown rules were relaxed so that you could meet up outside with up to 5 people from another household for exercise - both of the kiddies arranged walks with friends and then on Saturday and Sunday it rained and rained and rained. The kind of all-day set in rain that you never see in Canberra. Good for the garden, good for the frogs, bad for outdoor recreation.

On Sunday morning it cleared for half an hour so I took a punt and went for a walk, knowing it would rain a bit but thinking that would be fine ... it started pouring and it was wet and miserable so I called my husband to come and pick me up. Which he did, because he is a good person. I would have laughed and told him to suck it up. This is the ditch on the other side of the hill - it is usually completely dry and empty. You can't see frogs but you could hear them.

The birds struggled a bit. These are two very bedraggled lorikeets on the windowsill. My husband is working from home and hand feeding the birds so we have absolute FLOCKS coming down every morning and squawking for food. The lorikeets are the bottom of the pecking order.

The sulphur-cresteds are the top. Loud and bossy and not worried by the rain. You might notice that half the garden is neatly trimmed, and half is not. That marks the point where my husband trimmed through the cord of the hedge-trimmer. Not electrocuted, but the hedge-trimmer is definitely not working any more.  

I got out my second best sewing machine (which is actually a nice little machine, I should use it more) and made another dozen face masks. I think we will be wearing them for a while longer. This is the front door. Not a sight I would have understood a couple of years ago. 

2 comments:

  1. If you took your punt why didn't you row home in it? I can see that you definitely need my pruning visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Lynley's dad, I had the same punt thought...

    At least you have plenty of fabric to make masks. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete