Thursday, April 8, 2021

Silk shirt

In between swimming and eating chips down the beach I made myself a plain, but pretty, silk top. I bought this material at Pasar Mayestik in Jakarta in October 2012 - and it has sat quietly in the drawer ever since. I don't know why I have been reluctant to use it - it was not particularly expensive (about $12 / metre from memory) and is a lovely light weight. Perhaps because I knew it was going to be a nightmare to sew ... floaty and slippery!!! 

I tried to minimise the pain by using the plainest pattern possible; a McCalls shell top that I'd made last year in grey. I made the adjustments from last time - a bit more in the length, changed the alignment of the bust dart and used proper facings instead of just hemming the neck opening.

And it turned out fine. The fabric is really pretty even though these photos are terrible. They sold it to me as Ungaro designed silk and it certainly says Ungaro on the selvedge. But given that Liberty sells Ungaro silk for GPB125 a metre I am HIGHLY sceptical. 

It is definitely silk though, I did the burn test and not a trace of synthetic, so I will take it as a pretty fabric and not worry too much about the authenticity. I wore it to work today and it felt very nice to wear, so I will take that as a win (might re-visit after I've washed and ironed it....)

1 comment:

  1. I like the soft feel of silk. This blouse is attractive and would never go out of style.

    ReplyDelete