Tuesday, April 13, 2021

A long walk

Finally the weather has cooled down and I took the opportunity to go for a long walk on Sunday morning. I haven't done it for ages because of the heat (and a little bit of laziness) so off I trotted to do the 15 km loop. Still wearing a t-shirt and hat and sunscreen - it wasn't that cold - but not dying from heat exhaustion by the time I struggled back up the hill to home. Just very sore legs.

I accidentally crossed paths with the Canberra marathon. I knew it was on, but looked up the start time which was 7 am so assumed it would be over by the time I was there (about 11) because how long do marathons take? 2 hours? 3 hours? Well apparently not everyone who decides to do the Canberra marathon (or ultramarathon, or half marathon, or 10 km, or 5 km, or kids dash) is doing it in world-record times because there were a lot of very pained shufflers on the trail as I went past. I am very respectful and admiring of anyone who can do any form of distance running but lordy they did NOT look happy. 

This photo is a very Canberra shot. Little house, lots of trees, autumn colours and a unnecessarily complicated intersection (both the road I'm on and the road in front curve, and don't meet at the cross road at the same place, the whole suburb is a fender-bending nightmare and it was PLANNED THAT WAY because Canberra, let's make it pretty).

At least they have the cute old road signs. The rest of the weekend was very quiet with a bit of quilting and not much else. Lovely.

1 comment:

  1. 15 k is impressive! 9.3 miles, which is probably about our limit with the walking group. I doubt if we'd manage that by ourselves, with no one to notice if we decided to give up and get a bus... .

    ReplyDelete