Monday, September 7, 2020

Sewed a top

When I was at the beach I not only went for an awesome swim but sewed a top (and a skirt, which I haven't worn yet, but I will take photos when I do). Not very exciting - a basic boxy shell top in a boring neutral grey - but fine for work. I had a short length of a nice textured suiting that I'd been gifted that wasn't long enough for anything much, so I used a very plain McCalls pattern as an experiment and it worked quite well.

This is the skirt of my good black suit that I wear all the time, which gives you an idea of the wow and pizazz of the overall outfit. My job does require invisibility, and a black suit with a matronly shoe is as invisible as you're going to get. I can run in those shoes if needed (and have) although from this angle it looks more like I would be trying to flamenco. Because that happens.

This photo is about the one piece of shaping in the top - the bust dart. It is perhaps pointing slightly optimistically at some place where my boobs once were, rather than where they actually are. I might lower it an inch or two if I make this pattern again. And yes, my sewing room is a bit of a mess, that's the trouble with starting up the weaving again without properly tidying the quilting. My solution is a bigger sewing room, or a second sewing room (weaving room!) but the children refuse to leave home.

1 comment:

  1. You look lovely. A sewing room - that sounds lovely too. Mind you, I just take over the kitchen and dining room when making quilts, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

    ReplyDelete