Thursday, September 3, 2020

Boo, hiss

Spring has undeniably started and I am grumpy and sad. I like winter, and I don't like summer, at least not in Canberra. Winter is woolly jumpers, fires, long walks and toasted cheese. Summer is heat, flies, noise and snakes. In summer neighbours come out of their houses into their yards. I have to show my bare legs. These things are unacceptable. It is a lot harder to pretend you are the only person in the universe in summer.

The only upside of summer is the beach and swimming in the ocean, and I am TERRIFIED that we are going to barred from the sea for pandemic reasons. Can you imagine it? I would not cope, in fact I would probably be doing some border-running to make sure I get in the saltwater, even if it means driving a very small car on a dirt track over the escarpment while being chased by a police helicopter. 

There is still some snow on the hills that you can see if you squint ... but not for long. SUMMER IS COMING.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, is that your street? What a lovely view. Well, if you don't want spring, we'll have it back, thanks. I certainly don't want autumn followed by winter, because at the moment we're still able (most of the time) to meet people out in the garden (and in the house in limited numbers). When it's cold - not a chance. And if we're locked down again... It's all very well for you - you still have your lovely boys at home. Ours are scattered. Sob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less rain and longer days mean I'm looking forward to summer - and hopefully lots of beach time although like you, I'm worried that we will get locked down again the week before Christmas and won't be allowed to the beaches.

    ReplyDelete