Friday, August 28, 2020

Gentrification

We've seen our little beach town slowly getting a bit fancier over the twenty years we've been holidaying down there - although I think a large part of it is the older buildings are simply falling apart. There wasn't a bridge across the river at Bateman's Bay until 1956 - just a ferry - so the south coast was pretty remote. I think some of the original buildings were made of driftwood and washed up fibro sheeting (although perhaps I am projecting my husband's family beach house in Queensland). Anyway, the inevitable knocking down and building back up is happening. And sometimes vacant blocks I always thought were part of the roadside, or a park, are clearfelled and fenced and built on. 

This is on the main(ish) street over the road from the little shop and I have been watching it slowly sink into the ground for a couple of decades. There were occasional signs of habitation, especially in summer, but it was sold a few weeks ago and is now clearly destined for the chop! A classic beach house that I can feel nostalgic for  (but much prefer my dishwasher and insulated roof and building code compliant fusebox). 

2 comments:

  1. Four hundred thousand dollars for that??????? Goodness. Not that I know what a dollar is worth but ... wow! That seems very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've just looked up the exchange rate and have calmed down slightly. But it's still a lot for what looks like a garden shed. Mind you, there's a programme on tv that I've occasionally seen about Brits thinking of moving to Australia and the salaries are much higher there. So maybe it's not so extortionate.

    ReplyDelete