Monday, August 10, 2020

Quickly, slam the door

 Here is what those peculiar circus circles with ric-rac turned into - not as bad as I thought it was going to be but definitely not one of my favourites. It is called "Quickly, slam the door" because I feel like those circles are trying to roll right into my house.

The blue is good, and I like the border, but that's about it. I left the circles unquilted so they'd poof out a bit, which they do, but I'm not sure it helps. It was reasonably fun to make - and I like ric-rac - and it used up quite a few solid scraps, so there's that. It is a good size for a sofa quilt or a car quilt so it will no doubt have a useful life ahead of it (in case we ever run out of quilts HAHAHAHAHA)

I didn't take a photo of the backing but it's the same vague cream abstract pattern as all the other quilts because IKEA was selling queen size duvet covers for $10. Pure cotton, but quite loosely woven (definitely not 400 thread count!), which is actually perfect for quilt backings, when you don't want anything that is too dense and unyielding. I bought six of them, and I can get two backings of out each, so that is super frugal and they look just fine. I don't particularly like taking it out of the packet, ripping off the snaps and seams and throwing them away ... terribly wasteful. But my hobby is inherently wasteful, like most useless things ... I'm still going to keep doing it. Here is a shot with laundry!

3 comments:

  1. The first name that springs to mind for me is 'Lifesavers' - both for the lollies, and because the blue background reminds me of colourful children's inflatable swimming rings floating in swimming pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "D-Day revisited in happier times" with all the coloured towels on Omaha Beach. Or is it "Balloon Fest from Above"?.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that!! But Heather's comment confuses me: what are lifesavers? (rings you throw to drowning people?) and to us, lollies are lollipops, ie lumps of boiled sweet on sticks. Are they just sweets in general with you? Mysterious language differences...

    ReplyDelete