Monday, August 3, 2020

Very quiet weekend

I left the house twice on the weekend to go on two walks; one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Saturday my husband and I did the east basin (about 10km, which took us an hour forty minutes) and Sunday I did a proper walk which took about two and a half hours - I'm not sure exactly where I went other than down, up, around and over. Both days had thick fog until about lunchtime, then a few hours of cold sunshine before the fog came down again as it got dark. Perfect weather for not doing much at home except a bit of weaving, sitting by the fire and watching crap on television.


This was when I was just about home on Sunday - you can kind of see the fog starting in the valleys. I should have pruned the roses but couldn't be bothered ... but I must do it soon or they'll be starting to sprout little sprouts again. 


I did preserve some of the lemons I brought back from the beach. We like preserved lemons in salads, but you don't need much, so I thought two jars would be heaps. I was very careful about the sterilisation this time - scrubbed the lemons, sterilised the lids and the jars and the various tongs and spoons and was properly cautious about it all. So it took a couple of hours by the time I'd rubbed the salt into the lemon wedges and sterilised everything and carefully poked it in to the jars, but worth it to have such pretty preserves. 


You have to leave it at room temperature for a day or two, then in the fridge for a month before it's ready to eat. And all was going swimmingly until number two said "I had a taste of those new preserved lemons" and it turns out he UNSCREWED THE LID, FISHED AROUND WITH HIS GRUBBY FINGERS, CUT OFF A PIECE WITH GOD KNOWS WHAT AND PUT THE LID BACK ON. And couldn't remember which jar he'd done it to, so there goes both of them! For a smart kid, he does some mighty dumb things sometimes. And yes, I yelled at him, perhaps more than  he deserved. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear! That's no reward for your hard work. Mind you, neither will it be when he marries someone unsuitable and then moves away... I hope he doesn't!

    ReplyDelete