Tuesday, September 29, 2020

My birthday present

 The other thing I did in my four glorious days down the coast was unpack and get thoroughly familiar with my most recent birthday present ... a Janome airthreading overlocker! I had my old overlocker serviced recently after not using it for years, but when I went to thread it I just about cried with frustration. And remembered all those years of afternoons getting crosser and crosser while I did everything right and it STILL wouldn't work. This one was much easier, and sews beautifully. It does still take a bit of concentration to thread, and it is still very possible to get it horribly wrong, which I did the first few times, but it seems generally easier and more stable. 


I had a lovely time making very neat seams on a dress that was truly terrible and immediately binned (the cut just clung to my belly, which is not a feature to emphasise), a nice navy cotton shirt and a wearable muslin top that was a good fit, but reasonably ugly fabric that I had had for years, so might not get worn. I also neatened up the striped laundry bag that was falling to bits. Lots of fun and I will do more with knit fabrics now, that I have avoided in the past.

1 comment:

  1. How impressive you are with your sewing skills. I'm still using my mother's 1960s Singer sewing machine, which I think will see me out. And hurting my ancient wrists, hand-quilting. But you're young and clever!

    ReplyDelete