Saturday, February 2, 2019

What I've been reading - the second half of 2018

Since I delighted the internet with my reading list of the first half of 2018, I should keep going and let you know what I read in the second half. Definitely fewer books! 42 compared to 61. I think because some of them were quite solid and took a while to get through ... but it might be because of the loom purchase. Books are down, Netflix is way way up.

So here is the list, in the reverse order that I read them in:

Jennifer Saunders Bonkers: My Life in Laughs
David Lodge A Man of Parts
A.S. Byatt Ragnarok
Charlotte Bronte Villette
Terry Pratchett Snuff (Discworld, #39; City Watch #8)
Catherine Lowell The Madwoman Upstairs
David Profumo Bringing The House Down: A Family Memoir
Nigel Williams R.I.P.
Daphne Merkin The Fame Lunches: On Wounded Icons, Money, Sex, the Brontes, and the Importance of Handbags
Claire Fuller Bitter Orange
Juliet Barker The Brontes
Barney Norris Turning for Home
Matt Haig How to Stop Time
Brian Martin Holt College: An Oxford Novel
Jonathan Bate Ted Hughes: The Unauthorised Life
Angela Meyer A Superior Spectre
Tim Winton Eyrie
Pamela Holmes The Huntingfield Paintress
Gail Godwin Grief Cottage: A Novel
Audrey Niffenegger Her Fearful Symmetry
Joshua Ferris The Unnamed
Frank Herbert Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)
Tim Winton The Boy Behind the Curtain
David Nicholls Us
Damon Tweedy Black Man in a White Coat: A Doctor's Reflections on Race and Medicine
Juliet Marillier Dreamer's Pool (Blackthorn & Grim #1)
Jacqueline Lunn The Unknown Woman
Jennifer Egan A Visit from the Goon Squad
Jennifer Egan Manhattan Beach
Jane Harper Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2)
Katharine Murphy On Disruption
Douglas Coupland Generation A
Lionel Shriver Property: A Collection
Julia Baird Victoria The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire
A.M. Homes May We Be Forgiven
Victoria Glendinning Rebecca West: A Life
Virginia Woolf To the Lighthouse
Sally Brampton Shoot the Damn Dog: A Memoir of Depression
Laura Shapiro What She Ate: Six Remarkable Women and the Food That Tells Their Stories
Philip Hensher Kitchen Venom
Fredrik Backman My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises
Philip Hensher Tales of Persuasion

As usual, it is all over the place. Literary, light, non-fiction, biography, memoir, old, new. I do sometimes follow trails; you can see a Bronte theme, and the biography of Leonard Woolf I read at the beginning of the year led to both To the Lighthouse and Rebecca West, which then led to A Man of Parts, which is about H.G. Wells (and it's great, by the way, highly recommend). Janet Malcolm's biography of Sylvia Plath (which isn't on this list for some reason, clearly my system is not infallible!) led to the Hughes biography. Both very good books but clearly there are a number of perspectives you can take on those two lives. 

If I had to pick the three best - to be honest I can't even remember what most of them were about, which tells you something - it would be Tim Winton's Eyrie, Julia Baird's biography of Queen Victoria and Sally Brampton's memoir. My criteria for a good book is that it made some kind of memorable impact, which isn't very scientific, but there you have it. None of them were dreadful (I don't finish bad books, I just stop reading, and they don't go on my list) but some were a bit forgettable.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I've sussed you out at last. You're identical triplets. That's how you can work in a clearly high-powered job, parent, run two houses, make a quilt and a scarf every weekend and also read all those books. Unless you're perhaps an alien - that's another possibility.

    ReplyDelete