Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Actual proper dyeing number two

I decided to do some variegated dyeing using the lovely Bendigo sock yarn hank I bought on special ages ago. It is lovely wool, soft and spongy with a nice twist.



I put down a layer of gladwrap, put the soaked skein on it, then added different coloured dyes to different bits. Actually only two colours - red and blue - with some bits where I mixed them together beforehand. And there were some bits where they mixed together of their own accord. Then I rolled up the gladwrap sausage and boiled it for a bit.



And here is the finished product!



It was a bit bright and kindergartenish, so I dyed another skein without the variegation, just in a plain purple. I thought they might blend well together. The plain purple is still not exactly a solid colour because of the many flaws in my dyeing technique, but it's less vivid than the multicoloured one. I wound them into balls and they look just like bought ones ... I'm very pleased.



1 comment:

  1. You do have fun, don't you? I wonder if you ever do the dusting - or maybe you have staff? I don't think of metric as "normal" at all. We are nominally metric here, and I suppose the young probably think in these terms, but I'm still a pint, ounce and inch person. I have to translate into proper measurements to get any idea of what 125g (or whatever) is.

    ReplyDelete