Sunday, February 17, 2019

Hand-dyed

Back in November I dyed some skeins I found already tied up in the cupboard. Blue and black, because I had some in those colours still in balls, so I thought I would use them all together. And I did! And it is lovely, even if a bit mottled. There are blue stripes, and black stripes, and one that has a tiny bit of turquoise. Not an artistic decision, a logistical one based on what was in the drawer.



I put it on a 10 dpi heddle, and it was lovely to weave and made a nice soft scarf. It's still a bit scratchy compared to some of the blends that I'm working with - it's 100% wool which is good in some ways but not as soft as some of the more expensive wools, or when you put a bit of quality acrylic with it. Or mohair, or silk, or alpaca or one of those lovely things.



It lost a bit of colour when I wet finished it, but honestly, about the same as the commercially dyed skeins. I haven't had one single scarf not lose colour with a warm hand wash, no matter where the yarn came from. It makes me feel better about my home dyeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment