Friday, February 15, 2019

Like a substitute teacher at clown school

Which is how number two son described me when I asked him to take photos of me in the new shirt I'd made. In his defence, I had said "could you take photos of me in this terrible shirt I made, it looks ridiculous". I would like to think that if I'd said "could you take photos of me in this wonderful new shirt I made, I'm so proud of myself" he would not have made that comment. But you don't know. Teenagers can be cruel.



So the concept was sound - a loose, cotton shirt in a fairly neutral print that I could wear with jeans as a step up from  t-shirt. But it looks stupid, like a weird kimono / pyjama top. The cotton is a lovely heavy soft fabric, but was way too solid for this type of oversized shirt.



I even made it all totally properly - hand-stitched the yoke facing, pleats and plackets on the cuffs, the whole enchilada. I'm going to put it through the washer and dryer a few times to see if it softens up at all. There might be a dressing on the fabric that makes it stiff ... but I'm guessing not. I'm guessing it's just one of those disasters that seemed like a good idea at the time. Never mind, I quite enjoyed making it, between swims.


Practising my modelling poses or showing off my cuff pleats? You decide.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it looks awful at all! Perhaps hitch up the shoulders a little, that would be my only comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks lovely! Though I do like your son's original simile.

    ReplyDelete