Friday, November 25, 2016

Wool and cotton



Here is the next scarf - I was very pleased with how easy the cotton was to warp on the yellow and green scarf, so I did blue and yellow 3 ply crochet cotton on the warp, and then put a selection of random stuff on the weft to see how it hung together.



The colours are not very complementary on the ball - that browny yellow really didn't match at all - but once you get it woven in and the colours blend it's amazing what a difference there is. They seem to work much better together. The bright blue and the browny yellow are a fluffy acrylic; the yellow is that wierd linen/cotton again; the dark blue is an 8-ply wool I had in the cupboard and I used a bit of the cotton on the warp as well.



I plaited the fringe which took a while but ended up quite cute.The fluffy feels lovely! I am totally going to wear this next winter.  You really can use any random yarn on the weft, so I'm eyeing off my tub of assorted wools I've collected over the years. Some of them are hideous synthetics but maybe it's their time to shine! But firstly I'm going to take a short detour into wool dyeing. I have ordered some plain white 3-ply and read all about it on the internet and I can't wait to try it. You use food colouring! How cool is that. I will take photos.

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving this. As long as you keep on making scarves, you're not making me feel quite so inadequate by making a quilt every two days. Your scarves are very impressive, though. (Do you need scarves in an Australian summer?)

    ReplyDelete