Sunday, October 16, 2016

What happened to the week?

So it's Sunday again - I do not know what has happened to the last week. We are busy at work, which is good but exhausting. And I don't know where the evenings go at all! Not that I really get evenings ... I have to go to bed at 9.30 if I want to have any chance of getting enough sleep to avoid getting stabby. I don't go well without sleep. At least the weekend was lovely ... a 7km run Saturday morning, on a beautifully sunny day, then friends over for dinner and to watch the local elections. We're in the Australian Capital Territory, which is our state and local government all in one, and the election was on Saturday. So I went and voted at the primary school - I didn't have a democracy sausage because they were just finishing up as I arrived, but number two son had been down earlier to add his meringues to the gourmet delights on offer. The Labor government got elected for a record fifth term, which is quite unusual but Canberra is very left-leaning, and the Liberals weren't looking very impressive at all, and probably shot themselves in the foot. More interestingly, here's a photo of our garden which is looking very lush, and completely overtaken by weeds.


 The highlights of the election are a new MP called Gordon Ramsay who apparently doesn't swear much at all, and an unprecedentedly high vote for the Sex Party, who have a variety of interesting policies, including bringing back the legal sale of fireworks. We have some peculiar form of proportional representation so you can number the candidates from 1 to 29 if you want to (I always want to) and I certainly rated my minor parties based on how nutty I thought they were. And let me tell you, the Sex Party are the most normal, and I am not at all surprised they had such a high vote.


We had book club this morning, which was lovely (big on chat, small on literature) and number two son made a pineapple upside down cake. It was a bit soggy in the middle but we think a ring tin would fix that. It was inspired by the new series of the Great Australian Bake Off that started on Tuesday. More baking! Just what we need.

4 comments:

  1. Your garden looks so green and tropical, not like Canberra at all. And the cake looks mouth-wateringly good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That weedy green thing has finally covered under that tree where it's so hard to grow anything. I might let it stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have a democracy sausage because they were just finishing up as I arrived, but number two son had been down earlier to add his meringues to the gourmet delights on offer.

    Sorry to be thick. Perhaps I'm just too British. But what on earth does this mean?????? You get fed at the voting booth??? It's a sort of pot-luck dinner???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I'm kind of wondering about the democracy sausage myself... And the words 'sex party' together do NOT lead me to thinking about politics. haha. Over in the US our election is still a few weeks away and I CANNOT WAIT for it to be done with.

    ReplyDelete