Wednesday, August 26, 2015

This is a great book

Photo from Roderick Kiracofe's website

My husband gave me this book for my birthday - he says he picked it out at random which is amazing,  because I have had my eye on it for quite a while.  I am halfway through it (reading slowly to savour) and it is just as awesome as I thought it might be. The quilts are fantastic - energetic and interesting. The essays are good too - I don't know if I agree with all of them exactly - but that's what you want! So nice to read things that are thoughtful and thought-provoking. I roll my eyes a bit at some of the "by adding a random strip of colour the work is elevated to modern art" because I really think the maker just added a random strip of colour ... but it is certainly making me see these types of quilts in a different way.

And it also makes me feel better about my quilting and my approach of making as many different ones as possible in a way that makes me happy. That is OK to not aim for technical perfection, because there is something better to aim for, and that is soul. Or heart. Or something. This might be why most exhibition quilts leave me cold. And the modern quilts - even though I love modern quilting generally - which take minimalism that extra grey linen step into meh and boring.

Unsurprisingly I am stuffed with ideas for new quilts that I'm trying to batten down while I finish off the ones in train. Except some more crappily executed randomness in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment