Thursday, February 8, 2024

House portraits

From the non-realistic wonders of Shrewsbury to a paint-every-brick suburban semi ... I have wandered off down another rabbit hole to copy the works of Liv who paints buildings. She does realistic commissions for people who want to see their house in watercolour, and they are very charming. Her method is to use Procreate to make an almost architectural line drawing, transfer that to paper, then paint in the colours quite precisely, including painting a LOT of bricks. 

I had a lot of fun trying to copy her. I don't have the tools (or talents) to do the initial line drawing but I've just been able to do it in pencil and because there's nobody saying "my front door is two feet to the left" that works fine for me.

It certainly makes you look quite closely at what is going on, with walls and doors and things. I should try it with Canberra houses but they are all the second half of the twentieth century with garage doors and not much else. Perhaps that's the challenge?


2 comments: