Thursday, February 22, 2024

Different houses

I have fallen down another rabbit hole with a different artist - Gary Frederick and his imaginary places (as he calls them). He uses pen and wash to create these delightful houses and scenes that I have been very happily re-creating, and discovering the joys of a dropped-in watercolour sky at the same time. 

I even splashed out and subscribed to his Patreon at $4 per month, which is where he puts the videos of him painting. Way to support a starving artist! I don't know what $4 will do, but I'm happy to pay it, and when I get bored of doing this I'll stop :)

My new fountain pen that I got for Christmas is lovely for this kind of work. Some of them are inked then painted and some of then are painted then inked ... I think I prefer doing the pen work first because it gives me more certainty, but there are definitely advantages to painting first for wobbly outlined things like trees.

Gary does lovely shadows that I'm trying to imitate, and also great rocks.


I don't know if this will help me much on my mission to sketch the boring urban environment I actually live in ... but I'm learning stuff, I'm sure of it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, if only I had an extra life to try these for myself. They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete