Friday, February 16, 2024

Fiji

I haven't posted for a week because I have been in the Republic of Fiji - working, although it is one of the loveliest spots I think my work has taken me. I was presenting at a workshop for MPs of the Parliament of Fiji, which was busy but interesting.

I even managed to wake up early enough for a swim before breakfast, which is very unlike me, but we didn't have much free time and you can only swim on the reef at high tide, which was early morning, so I arranged my schedule accordingly. It was absolutely beautiful, lots of little fishies. Some of the others saw sea snakes but I didn't (probably just as well) although there were some blacktip reef sharks which are about two feet long - enough to give you a startle, although they don't bite. The guy working at the beach stand said that 'all Fijian sharks are vegetarian' which sounds like something you would tell visiting Australians. 

It was off season because of the weather, so not that many tourists, but enough to feel awkward when walking around in work clothes with a clipboard. We finished early on the last day so I went for a long walk down the beach and enjoyed the coconut palms and general tropical vibe. 

Here is a sunset photo which looks absolutely fake but no - not even a filter. It was the most amazing sky.


And this is the typical view from my room! It absolutely bucketed down for about an hour each day... everything was very green. Home again now after a wonderful few days. 



1 comment:

  1. Love the sunset. The beach looks like the painting in the bedroom - check it out.

    ReplyDelete