Friday, December 31, 2021

Books I read in 2021

I still scan my books into Goodreads when I take them back to the library so I can see what I've read - it is only a partial picture this year because the library has been closed for most of the sitting weeks, so I've read a lot of books that were borrowed, second-hand, bought from shops or even (gasp) books I already own and just haven't read yet. I'll put the list in here for anybody who cares, it is the usual very random mix. A bit more science fiction / fantasy than usual, and some of them were very good. I loved the Tamsyn Muir books (final in the trilogy due out next year I think) - brilliant world building but also there is something about her humour that I just clicked with - turns out she's from HOWICK so that explains it. It's a kiwi thing. I also loved the book by Susanna Clarke, and John Burnside was an absolute find, as you can see I think I read everything the library had. 

Other than that the books by Benjamin Wood, Charlotte Wood, Ian Pears and Benjamin Markovits are still memorable. This is my test, if I can't remember anything about the book at this point then it probably was good not great - and if a book isn't even good then I don't finish it and it doesn't go on this list. With the exception of the book by Inga Simpson - I used to work with Inga and I kind of hate-finished it because she was a bit high-maintenance and it comes through quite clearly in this memoir. And I don't know if I'll bother reading anything else by Sally Rooney. But other than that I can say that all the books on my list were worth finishing, which is quite a compliment in a lockdown year of very limited focus. 

Shards of Earth (The Final Architects Trilogy, #1)

Adrian Tchaikovsky

How to Be Both

Ali Smith

Rules of Civility

Amor Towles

Autonomous

Annalee Newitz

Christmas in Austin

Benjamin Markovits

The Ecliptic

Benjamin Wood

The Reader

Bernhard Schlink

Life after Truth

Ceridwen Dovey

The Weekend

Charlotte Wood

The Word Ghost

Christine Paice

You Think It, I'll Say It

Curtis Sittenfeld

The Song of the Orphans (Silvers, #2)

Daniel Price

Influx

Daniel Suarez

Slade House

David Mitchell

Theft by Finding: Diaries 1977-2002

David Sedaris

Square Haunting

Francesca Wade

The Amazing Mrs Livesey

Freda Marnie Nicholls

The Golem And The Djinni

Helene Wecker

Arcadia

Iain Pears

Understory: a life with trees

Inga Simpson

Killing Adonis

J.M. Donellan

Ashland & Vine

John Burnside

Havergey

John Burnside

A Summer of Drowning

John Burnside

The Secrets of Wishtide

Kate Saunders

Single, Carefree, Mellow

Katherine Heiny

The Quick

Lauren Owen

Inscape

Louise Carey

The Guest List

Lucy Foley

The Midnight Library

Matt Haig

Star-Crossed

Minnie Darke

How We Talk: The Inner Workings of Conversation

N.J. Enfield

Love, Nina: Despatches from Family Life

Nina Stibbe

My Life with Bob

Pamela Paul

Coventry: Essays

Rachel Cusk

The Sunlit Night

Rebecca Knight

Between Them: Remembering My Parents

Richard Ford

City of Blades  (The Divine Cities, #2)

Robert Jackson Bennett

Normal People

Sally Rooney

Oligarchy

Scarlett Thomas

The Choke

Sofie Laguna

Piranesi

Susanna Clarke

Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)

Tamsyn Muir

Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)

Tamsyn Muir

I Shall Wear Midnight

Terry Pratchett

The Master Bedroom

Tessa Hadley

Agency

William Gibson


1 comment:

  1. I find this very interesting because I've never heard of most of these authors. Well, maybe a quarter of them. Fancy you reading the Nina Stibbe - I loved it, but then the famous people who live/lived in Gloucester Crescent are, I assume, mainly famous only in Britain?

    ReplyDelete