Friday, December 17, 2021

More unrealistic fish

Sorry Dad, my failures to accurately render fish fins continue on. This was a course by Felix Scheinberger who probably has one of my favourite styles of all the artists so far. It is loose and interesting and includes people scenes and city scenes which I prefer to landscapes, or abstract things. But they are harder to do, and he makes it look so easy! Anyway we did do fish, soft-edged fish in washes and hard-edged fish in pen.


We copied paintings of people for a while, trying to use different styles, I tortured a Rita Angus self-portrait for an evening. These are the best ones, you don't want to see the mutant colour pencil versions. 

And then a building with a wild-haired lady in front of it. With typography.

I had a longer look through all of his work, and I love so much of it! To capture a city scene  with buildings and people ... I had a go at creating a couple of my own but they were pretty appalling. In the end I just copied one of his of an old house line for line - it's still not very good but better than when I try to make it up myself. 

Most of the time I am just cross with how shit I am. I don't remember feeling this with quilting or weaving but maybe I did at the beginning and I've forgotten. But hey ho, on we go....

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget that with both quilting and weaving you copied a pattern for ages and ages, and your most individual and creative efforts in them still are probably just variations of those patterns you have learnt off by heart. So just keep copying and try small variations with the ones you like the best. We think they are all fabulous out here in fan land.

    ReplyDelete