Thursday, December 9, 2021

Best Domestika so far

I think this course is my favourite Domestika so far - Creative Watercolor Sketching for Beginners by Laura McKendry. It went into a bit more depth and got a bit more creative than some of the others - which are good but you just really do one thing. This was way more interesting and she had us doing some different things. The results aren't fabulous but the process was great fun and a bit mind-stretching, which is probably the point. 

This is where we used watercolour to make random patterns on paper, then cut it into shapes and glued up a collage. 

This is where we used monochrome to do light and dark to show planes (as in faces) and planes (as in ... planes). It was quite enlightening.


This is make blobs on the paper and turn it into things, then tell a story with those things. With some glued up collage bits too. Why not.


This is draw an ordinary item close to hand with lines and outlines. I had a reel of cotton, how surprising.


This is a favourite and I would love to be able to replicate this more broadly - for this I just copied what she had done - how to take blocks of colour and create objects. The colours in this are put down as just rectangles or blocks but the finished product is most clearly birds. I love the look of this, and have tried to do it on other things, but can't figure it out. Yet. 

Random unrealistic fish in random unrealistic colours. The idea was to use 'un-complementary' colours for deliberate ugliness. I succeeded. 

Random unrealistic fish in monochrome. With splatter. As you can see, nothing particularly fabulous resulted but heaps of fun to do and I can say I learned something with each technique. I have another course of hers in the queue which I am looking forward to.

2 comments:

  1. All very interesting. I'm always amazed at how different your house is from ours, with your bare brick and tiled floors. That would be very chilly here! But it's nice, and I love your lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish have pectoral fins (as well as dorsal, ventral, anal and caudal)so they all need another set. An operculum would help, too. But there is still no such thing as an ugly fish.

    ReplyDelete