Tuesday, December 7, 2021

La Nina

We are officially in for a La Nina summer - cool and damp. Normally this would be a bad thing, but we are still scarred by the Black Summer ... cool and damp sounds perfect. Long may it last. So my weekend at the beach which should have been full summer (it's December already!) was more like a winter break.


I went for a nice long walk but didn't take my jacket off the whole time. There were a few surfers but not many swimmers and the water did not look inviting. I was not tempted at all. It was also windy. 


I brought my loom down, warped it up and did some weaving. I had to look up how to do it, it's been so long, but it was a nice change to work with yarn again. I didn't do much though, in fact I didn't do much of anything, it had been a long parliamentary week with some extra late nights and a lot of shouting. And also with one covid case  ... we were all looking forward to meeting back up in person but no, back to videoconferencing until they've done all the contact tracing.


I bought an advent calendar of coffee capsules from the grocery store, which gave me possibly the most thrilling moments of the weekend. What will it be? Can I tell if they taste any different? (generally no). Other than that it is end of year stuff; we seem to have finished the school formals - there were three different schools this year. My children have friends and they all like to go to each other's formals ... luckily they also are happy to wear thrifted or borrowed clothes, so no major expense involved. Graduation next week and then that will be school! Done!

2 comments:

  1. They are talking El Nino here so I don't know how that works. Does the high pressure over Canberra distort the Southern Oscillation? I like the marketing genius of the coffee calendar - it lends itself to anything edible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looked it all up. We are forecast for a La Nina but it affects us differently. You get wetter on your coast, we get hotter here.

    ReplyDelete