Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Yee haw

I really enjoyed the Ken Burns documentary "Country Music" that SBS ran a few weeks ago. Although I don't think anyone else did, the first episodes played at 8.30 for a couple of weeks then got banished to 10.30. Luckily you can watch through their app, and I did.


It was a bit of an eye-opener. If asked, I would say that I'm not really a country music fan. Folk, sure, bluegrass, absolutely ... but proper country music? Nope, I'm way too cool for that. Except, apparently, I'm not. The series was a wonderful romp through all the music that I really really like and listen to all the time. Johnny Cash! Bill Munro! Patsy Cline! Willie Nelson! Dolly Parton!

It was familiar, and I have opinions on it. I greatly prefer Loretta Lynn to Tammy Wynette - "You're the reason our kids are ugly" has always struck me as a much better love song than "Stand by your man". I've downloaded the five volumes of soundtrack from the series (they are each three hours long, could it get any better!) and listened to them on my walks, and followed up with more from the artists that are unfamiliar to me, including the more modern ones. I have to admit that I actually love country music, which is not at all in line with my self-view, but what can you do?


1 comment:

  1. I've just listened to "You're the reason our kids are ugly" and while it's memorable, and funny, and I like the structure of the verses, and I see what you mean ... well, I wouldn't choose it to play at my children's weddings, let's put it that way! Your children are, luckily, very far away from ugly, as your recent posts have shown. And mine are also fine.

    ReplyDelete