Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Beeeeeeach

Regional travel restrictions were lifted on 1 June - after breakfast that day my  husband drove down for a day or two by the sea. Although he said it was a lot of gardening; tidying up bamboo leaves and mowing the tiny lawn ... but I think he spent most of it going for long beach walks and reading books. And last weekend it was my turn.



It was the Queen's Birthday long weekend so the entirety of Canberra came with me - I took the day off on Friday in the end to avoid the traffic and get a quiet day before the hordes arrived. Normally I get annoyed (this is My Beach! go home!) but it was lovely to see everyone out and about, and spending lots of money in the local shops, and generally coming out of hibernation.



The weather on Friday and Saturday was exquisite; clear and sunny and warm until the sun went down, when it was freezing, but that's OK. Lots of people were swimming but not me, not even with a wetsuit. I did a long walk in a t-shirt and long pants and was too hot by the end of it ... and found a few cold pear ciders in the back of the fridge! Perfect.



I spent the non-walking time making a dress that was a disaster. It's a t-shirt dress that I've made before with success but the fabric was a slightly heavier knit, and the neckband was shocking, so I cut it off and tried again with a different method, which was even worse.... so I got despondent and gave up. That's the trouble with sewing, too many misses and not enough hits. Especially when you're a very basic sewer with limited patience and unattractive blubber rolls that must be hidden. The options for disastrous results are inexhaustible.



I caught up with friends down the beach and other friends back here on Monday, which has been wonderfully social, and now we are back with busy weeks at work. My husband's work is allegedly going back physically soon but we will wait and see. Most everything is opening back up now community transmission is so low, although it is unlikely to make much difference to my life. Theatre? Nightclubs? Bars? Concerts? Not so much.

2 comments:

  1. You probably have no idea how exotic the words "catching up with friends" sounds here in lockdown Scotland. How lovely. Also "now community transmission is so low". Not that we know anyone who's had it, but that's not surprising since we've all been locked down.

    Your beach looks lovely. I'm feeling the same about the golf courses - my golf course - go home - only unfortunately they're now the golfers' golf courses and we can't go on them. We gaze down at them from up the hill as the golfers go unconcernedly around, unaware of the death stares directed at them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I think of it: the Queen's birthday? You get a holiday for this??? We don't and we pay for her! (You surely don't pay for her too, do you?)

    ReplyDelete