Friday, June 12, 2020

More solids

I was a bit inspired by Bonnie Hunter's unity quilt-a-long ... not precisely that quilt because it looks way more complicated than my capabilities but the general idea. A medallion with a lot of pieced borders, fairly neat and tidy, in a limited colour range. I have started with pink purple and yellow and it's shaping up nicely so far.


Clearly there are many more borders to come, but the nice thing about medallion quilts is you can stop when you get sick of it and then just pretend that was the size you wanted it to be all along. I am going to do coping strips to ensure that the borders are a finished block size, and try to keep it square as I go. We will see!

Pam asked why we celebrate the Queen's birthday, which is an excellent question I have never thought about (other than holiday! yay!). There is a wikipedia entry on Australian public holidays and one on the official birthday itself; it varies from state to state of course (like so much else in Australia, get rid of the states I always say, the country is way too small for that nonsense) and has apparently been celebrated mid-year since 1788, which was the first year of convict settlement. The UK does it on a Saturday and troops the colour, so no holiday ... seems a bit mean, as Pam points out they do pay for her (although we support a regal representative in each state and a general one, which is probably quite expensive, although my guess is cheaper than a president, yay for constitutional monarchy).

The wikipedia reminded me that when I first arrived in Canberra it had unrestrained fireworks sales on the Queen's birthday weekend and we would have a little fireworks and red wine fiesta in the freezing evening with mates. It was awesome but then "safety, runaway dogs, face exploding blah blah blah" stopped it all. Shame.

2 comments:

  1. The socially-distanced trooping of the colour (at Windsor, unusually, since HM is sheltering there) was on at tea time, so we watched it - for the first time, I may say - and we felt we got our money's worth. There were a lot of chaps marching around in nice red jackets and playing music. I never before knew that this happened on HM's birthday. So blogging is very educational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid quilt, by the way. I've never done one in self-coloured fabrics. I feel it would show up all my little inaccuracies.

    ReplyDelete