Friday, June 19, 2020

Toast for every meal



Here is another solids quilt; after the bright circles one (which I am just finishing the binding on) I wanted something a bit more restrained with limited colours. Unfortunately I think it went a bit boring - the colours were quite pretty together before cutting but I think they are a bit muted in the finished product.



It is a copy of a Gwen Marston quilt from her wonderful Abstract Quilts in Solids book. She doesn't give instructions or anything, just pictures and finished sizes, but it is not complex. I sized it up considerably so it would be bed size but kept the proportions and the use of three different colour families. Hers is more interesting than mine - perhaps my lights weren't light enough, or my darks not dark enough? Or my colour families were too different? Here is a photo of the book quilt.



It was enjoyable to make anyway, and I quilted it all over with big fat feathers. It probably would have suited hand quilting like Gwen's one, but that was never going to happen, I didn't love it enough for hand quilting! The quilting shows better from the back. It is called Toast for every meal because the pandemic seemed to result in a lot of toast, and I am definitely not complaining. I could eat toast for every meal quite happily .... sometimes butter, sometimes hummus, sometimes even vegemite.




1 comment:

  1. Oh, I like yours far better than hers, which looks rather sludgy to me.

    ReplyDelete