Wednesday, April 8, 2020

A time for elastic-waisted pants

The dress standards are dropping here in Canberra Heights, especially as the weather gets cooler and working from home kicks in. Trackpants, slippers and fluffy jumpers are the new normal - when it's not painting or running gear. So I have hauled out the saggy baggy elephant pants I made last month ... flat fronted, elastic backed, super roomy and generally unattractive.


They are perfectly wearable for round the house; but it is a bit disappointing because I made not one but TWO muslins - unpicked the first muslin, marked the lines and made another muslin to make sure it wasn't too enormous, which is my downfall with elastic pants. It's based on a Style Arc pattern but I made so many amendments it doesn't bear any resemblance to the finished product. And then I still wasn't sure so used this very humble fabric (IKEA decorator fabric, yes I know) which is just as well because they are definitely at-home trousers.



These are shocking photos I know. I'm not prepared to lift up my t-shirt at the front and show you how the bulges are managed (although I love seeing this on other curvy sewers, which is very hypocritical) and there is nothing very exciting about the construction. The fabric is actually quite a nice slubby cotton but was very cheap.



The only good thing about these pants is that I then went on and made a pair of plain black work pants in the same style but with even more amendments and they are MAGIC. Fitted but not tight, comfy but not sloppy and with some awesome pockets. So I get there eventually ... I can't promise photos of the black pants because it will be very boring indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Well, they're a lot better than I would even try to do. What I like about quilting is that I don't have to ruin the effect of my quilts by putting them on.

    ReplyDelete