Friday, October 25, 2019

A kimono jacket

I made this ages ago but this is the first time I've worn it - waiting for a day at work that didn't involve any serious meetings or other events that would not suit a bright green kimono-style cotton top. I am very pleased with this jacket, it is completely different to the normal thing I wear but it is comfortable and (despite the terrible photos) quite pretty.



The pattern is Simplicity 8610  and it looks extremely unappealing, I think it was a desperation pick for one of those "4 for $20" deals. But it was lovely to sew and the cut is reasonably flattering. I think I'll make it again, but I might make the sleeves a bit narrower. They verge into cartoonish, and it's a lot of fabric to have billowing around your elbows.



The material is a cotton that I bought in my three and half minute spare time shopping spree in New Delhi. Lovely weight and delightful to sew. The pattern went together easily - sensible band arrangement and no fastenings or anything. I made it a straight size, with no adjustments, and the length is fine. All in all two thumbs up from me...


1 comment: