Thursday, August 29, 2019

Making music

The vocal workshop I went to back in May inspired me to join a choir - I randomly saw a come-and-try night on Facebook so I went and tried and it was great! It's a community-based indie pop choir with no auditions, no commitments, heaps of people there can't really sing (although  many can) and they do mostly alternative mostly Australian tunes. Awesome. I was a bit worried about turning up, on my own, to a room full of strangers but of course the first person I saw was someone from work because it is Canberra after all. I've been a few times now and it's still fun.


They put the sheet music up on the website so I thought I would practice at home, but the keyboard I got for Christmas years ago has given up the ghost, so I bought this little Casio. Not the fanciest, but perfect for picking out the alto part on random Thelma Plum songs. I'm not the greatest singer but I can actually hold a tune, and of course people singing together always sound so much better than the sum of their parts. We learn one or two songs at the weekly meetings, and sometimes re-visit, but sometimes not! Perfection is not the aim, thank heavens. It suits me very much.

1 comment: