Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Quiet beach weekend

The title says it all - I had a quiet weekend at the beach. On my own, and loving every second. I sewed a cotton bomber jacket, which turned out surprisingly well. I've moved to approaching the garment sewing the same way I approach quilting - which is to make something that appeals to me for whatever reason, and not care at all about whether it will be useful. If I like the pattern and I like the fabric, then I can have fun making it .... wearability is an optional extra! Which is why I ended up with a mustard coloured cotton drill bomber jacket. No pictures yet because I haven't worn it, but I'm sure I will....


I thought I would have a bumper crop of lemons to bring back home but they are still not quite ripe. Beautiful - a greeny tint of yellow - but mostly not pickable. I think the bamboo is giving them quite a lot of shade, which might make the ripening process a bit slower. Or it could just have been a cold winter? I don't think it was ... it has certainly been a very dry winter. The countryside on the drive down was very brown.



There was also a lot of wind, and some pounding surf. I went down to the rocks below Mossy Point which I've never done before (despite walking the cliffs above the point hundreds of time) and the waves were smashing very spectacularly onto the rocks and misting me with spray. It was mesmerising ... and I took a lot of photos.




1 comment:

  1. Dry? It's been horrendously wet here, the likes of which I can never remember in August (ie summer). Would you like some rain sent your way? We have plenty.

    ReplyDelete