Monday, August 19, 2019

A yellow bomber jacket



This is what I made when I was down the coast last time. I wore it to a friend's farewell drinks last night - off on posting to Geneva. I'd like to say we are going to visit her, but that would be a bit optimistic. My intentions of visiting are always good, but then they come back three or four years later, and I'm just "you're back already? really? was it fun?" and my life has trundled on without excitement or event. But Geneva does sound nice.



This is McCalls 7100 and I wish I'd googled it before I started sewing because it was actually one of their sewalongs! So there was a lot of information out there, which I didn't have until afterwards. It is not something I have ever made before, and to be honest it wasn't what I intended when I got the yellow cotton drill off the shelf. I was going to make more of a coat, but I didn't have enough fabric, so thought what the hell, I'll use it for the bomber jacket.

 

Oooo, so many chins. It was surprisingly fun to sew and not too complicated. Despite all the measuring the pockets aren't even, but I don't think anyone would have noticed (it is ALL I can see when I look at the photos).

I didn't really understand the instructions on how to sew the bottom facing and ribbing, but bodgied my way through and it turned out OK ... until I gave it the final press and MELTED the ribbing. I could have cried, it was so frustrating. But I didn't chuck it in the bin, I unpicked the facing, cut the melted bit off, stretched the ribbing so it covered the gap and sewed it back together. Swearing like a pirate at myself the whole time, and it certainly doesn't look super professional. But do-able. And the whole thing is strangely fun and very definitely easy to wear! Who doesn't need a yellow cotton bomber jacket with strange squiggles on it. I am under no illusion that it is flattering, but it is colourful.

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing you are looking so fresh and young with this lovely yellow bomber jacket and I recommend you the best place for similar cool stuffEuro Jacket UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful post, please keep sharing this kind of information with us, you can find more customized patterns in leather on Leather Jacket From Euro Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I am designer of the leather jacket and I am hard Working with and its Geniune leather jacket website you like a this site so visit our site brown leather jackets for men

    ReplyDelete