Saturday, October 20, 2018

Fluffy wool scarf

Here is my first scarf with the Ice Yarns wool - I felt very adventurous getting yarn all the way from Turkey, but it arrived safely and now I've woven it up. It is a lovely soft variegated wool in quite strange shades of brown, pink and blue. They shouldn't work together but I think they do.



There are three stripes of the bamboo/wool cream, just because I thought it might need something more interesting. I'm not sure it does, but I certainly don't hate them. It was a little bit challenging to weave because the wool was quite fluffy, so hard to make a good shed on the warp. The fluffiness tends to stick together so it makes it harder to get the shuttle through neatly. Not impossible, just a bit awkward.



And two of the warp threads broke, which hasn't happened to me before. It's a bit of a pain but not insurmountable - you just try to weave with it as soon as you can and then weave the ends in afterwards. But it's another good learning experience about what you can and can't put on a warp - it really does have to stand a lot of tension and a fair amount of friction as you weave away.



This is the pooling test photo again - it doesn't drape quite as nicely as the bamboo but it's still very soft and cuddly. And the ends made lovely little fat fringes. Otherwise nothing to report here; back to school, back to work, jet lag in a minor way and random uncovering of tourist souvenirs. Number one son bought himself some Underground socks in London - he's pointing at Bayswater because that's where they stayed.

2 comments:

  1. Your husband and son went all the way to Britain and only saw London!!!! Goodness me. I'm just back from London myself and so glad to be back in lovely Edinburgh, or I would be if I hadn't left lovely daughter and lovely granddaughter in (mutter mutter) that huge dirty city. Big sigh. However, I'm glad your family had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice scarves, by the way. You're so clever.

    ReplyDelete