Friday, November 18, 2011

Not quite lego

I got inspired by Tonya's lego quilt - what is not to love about that fiesta of scrappy strippiness? So I cut an awful lot of strips and bricks one and half inches wide from the scrap bin and pieced them together. I had my own rules - I wasn't going to cut any strips to make them shorter. So if it was more than ten and a half inches long (the size of my finished blocks) it went over two blocks. The other thing I did was cut a lot of strips from dark red yardage to give the blocks a more unified look. Then I bordered it in blue (with red dots) and a piano key border from the leftover strips.

I like it - but it doesn't have the charm of the original lego quilt. The strips are bigger, and most of them are one fabric across the width of the block, so it's not nearly as intricate. It's still warm and friendly though, with all the red. And big enough for a queen size bed too. I would like to hand quilt it for the look - maybe big stitch like the pineapple blossom - but has my enthusiasm for that run out? Can I quilt another one or will I get too too terribly bored?


6 comments:

  1. Congrats, nice top. Those legos really take more time than you think to put together.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's great! definitely all works together with the red. bet it was a lot faster to put together too! I gotta say, I'm not handquilting mine - too many seams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! And Queen size - whoo hoo. Like Tonya I'm not handquilting mine due to the seams...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is different from Tonya's, but I like it very much. Tying it together with the red was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete