Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Yet another beach weekend

Unexpectedly, everything at work sorted itself out last week, and rather than being a last minute bunfight it turned out to be very quiet at the end. So I took a half day recreation leave on Friday afternoon and headed down the beach. It was rather fun to stop in Braidwood for lunch and poke around the cafes and shops instead of barrelling straight through.  I even got a walk in before it got dark ... although the storms were brewing. There were enormous electrical storms and heavy rain all through the night. 


Saturday wasn't much better, so I stayed indoors most of the day and sewed myself a pair of pants and read. I finished a biography of George Orwell (long, detailed, but surprisingly interesting) and a biography of Edgar Allan Poe (short, not very detailed, but interesting because his life was a TRAINWRECK). Mostly what I learned was that if you want to support your family financially don't become a writer, and tuberculosis is an awful hideous illness that cut down whole families over agonising decades. 


There was a patch between rainstorms where I went for a nice walk, but I wasn't tempted to swim, even though the water temperature was quite warm. The pants turned out quite well although they were a bit of an experiment - a 'wearable muslin' where you use fabric that you aren't especially fond of, but that you will wear, before trying again with the good stuff. I have some good stuff in mind so will make them again.


Sunday was much sunnier but also much colder as the temperature dropped into true autumn. The snowfields got their first dusting and I reckon you could feel it where I was! Despite this lovely blue sky I did not swim. The main beach had the nippers in training and quite a few surfers, but not many fat middle-aged ladies. We are a cowardly bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment