Friday, April 12, 2019

Sock yarn


I bought some pretty pink and grey self-striping sock yarn (75% wool 25% synthetic) to see how it wove up. First I did just the sock yarn - with stripes on both the warp and the weft.



The stripes on the weft work quite well, but the warp stripes are too far apart to be interesting. The colour repeat would probably be great on socks, but it was too much of each colour on a scarf I thought.



So the next time I used the stripes on just the warp, and did alternate hand-dyed weft rows of pink and grey. I think this is much nicer and more interesting. You still get the random stripes on the length of the scarf but not the great chunks of colour on the weft. Here they are both together, in front of my still-tidy chest of drawers. It's a really nice soft yarn so both scarves are super snuggly.

No comments:

Post a Comment