Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Urban sketchers

On the weekend I took a deep breath and actually went along to a meet-up of the Canberra Urban Sketchers! You know how much I don't love groups, and new people, and general joining activities ... but I did it anyway and of course it was lovely. Very welcoming. So once a month they meet up at a place, then wander off for two hours to sketch, then come back, compare drawings and have a coffee. This is the 'throw down' where everyone puts their books on the ground.

I am not very good, but I am also not terribly bad - and there were so many different styles and approaches that it just didn't matter. People used pencils and markers and crayons and stencils in all different sizes and styles, it was great to see. I did this corner with the Deli - I'll post my sketch if I remember.

This meet-up was at some newly opened food markets; it was quite quiet because of the long weekend, which is good for sketching. I thought it might be awkward to sit and draw in public but because there's a group it was fine ... and actually even without a group it probably would have been fine. The demographic was largely women of a certain age but not entirely - there were some younger ones and some men! - which is a step up from Canberra Quilters. I will go again.

1 comment:

  1. Well done you! And your husband has retired??? You both look far too young!

    ReplyDelete